I’m Cherelle, a Singaporean-Chinese bookdragon whom, as you’ve probably noticed, has a soft spot for all things pink. I started this blog in September 2020, with this little corner of the Internet being the place where I intend to share my thoughts on the books I’ve read. Through A Bolt out of the Book, I’ve expanded and diversified my reading tastes, though I dabble mostly in historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction and the occasional literary fiction.
I love seeing Asian representation in the books I read, following antiheroes, and stories entrenched in history, lore and political intrigue! I’m also a devout believer in “judging a book by its title” – if the title ends up being an important metaphor in the book, or word play, I’ll be reading asap. Also reflecting my love for puns would be the title of my blog, the name “A Bolt out of the Book” comes from the idiom “like a bolt out of the blue, which highlights the surprising nature of books, and also gives me the liberty to make lightning puns. Yes, I’m sure the meaning has struck you by now.
some facts about myself
- I really love the character Cookie Monster, and have adopted my way of affirmation as “have a cookie! 🍪”
- I’m an ISTJ.
- I can speak decent Mandarin (especially when I’m angry), and get consistently scolded for sticking my chopsticks directly into my rice bowl (which is said to bring bad luck due to it looking like incense at funerals for Chinese).
- I’m fond of parentheses, ellipses and have a penchant for long-windedness (all my reviews are at least 700 words long…)
- Notion has organised my life for me.
some of my favourite books
- The Poppy War series (The Poppy War, The Dragon Republic, The Burning God) by R.F. Kuang
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeline Thien
- The Green Bone Saga (Jade City, Jade War, Jade Legacy) by Fonda Lee
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Villains duology (Vicious, Vengeful) by V.E. Schwab
- The Ones We’re Meant to Find by Joan He
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee